Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Even as a child I loved magazines. Aunts and Uncles would bring me their old magazines and I would add them to my stash. Unfortunately my parents weren’t wild about my collection, so slowly while I was at school my piles got smaller. Didn’t matter to them that we had every issue of National Geographic on shelves in our basement....that belonged to them....Ladies Home Journal, McCalls, Seventeen, Vogue, and Glamour just wasn’t in the same league as National Geographic so my stash got tossed.
Vitality Shoes 1955 Journal
Today I continue searching for those vintage magazines I found so entertaining in my youth. I search flea markets and antique stores looking for that perfect issue to add to my collection. You can find rare issues in many online venues but nothing compares to the thrill of actually capturing them from estates and auctions.

Mountains of information can be gleamed from the pages, even if only for a chuckle. Mainly for me it takes me down memory lane when life was simple and often humorous. I especially love the ads. Does anyone remember: “Unguentine”? Did you know Greer Garson was a cook and created many recipes? And “You’ll feel lovelier with your ODO-RO-NO double circle of protection”? I’m not sure what you do with it exactly but I bet it worked wonderfully.

I’m much ridiculed about my old magazines but I find NO one comes to my house without picking one up and diligently studying each page and eventually screaming ‘my Mother had one of these’. My greatest compliment came from my husband when he asked if he could have one of my 1966 Consumer Guides to take to work for his friends to admire.

When you find them don’t pass them by. There’s a wealth of entertainment inside those pages. After all don’t we all want to know who Eddie Fisher dated after Liz dumped him?

Lately I’ve been collecting vintage clothing ads.
Van Raalt Slip 1955 McCallsRain Dears 1955 McCalls

Corsets and Lingerie 1920s
1930's Sears, Roebuck Catalog
Photobucket
Miss Swank ad from 1949 McCall's Magazine
Photobucket
Daniel Green 1949 McCall's Magazine
Photobucket
Colorful Dresses from the 1956 Aldens Catalog
Photobucket
Swirl ad from the 1960 McCall's Magazine
Photobucket
J. C. Penney Co. Coats
Photobucket
Lastly this little treasure was found at the bottom of a vintage hat box.

Please feel free to copy any of these ads. If you are looking for something special drop me an email and I"ll see if I can find it.

Here's a list of our network of sellers

My Vintage Cocktail on Etsy

Catseye Vintage on Ecrater

After Dark Vintage on Ruby Plaza

Vintage Baubles

Catseye Vintage on Etsy

Alley Cats Vintage on Etsy

Vintage Baubles Too on TIAS

Alley Cats Vintage on Ruby Lane

No comments: